Monday, October 19, 2009

Southern Favorite: Biscuits & Gravy


Having spent 7 years of my life in Texas, I have a real soft spot in my heart for southern food - I love chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, red beans and rice, macaroni and cheese, corn bread, pecan pie (I know, not for the calorie-counters, but oh so good).  I just think this style of cooking is so warm and comforting.  


With us being in the middle of Fall and Winter fast approaching, I thought it only fitting that I give you my recipe for Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy.  Typically Biscuits and Gravy are served for breakfast, but really you could eat this for any meal.  If for some reason you did not grow up with Biscuits and Gravy, and are a little leary of this southern deliciousness, you must give it a try!!


Sausage, Biscuits & Gravy
Ingredients:
1/2 pound pork sausage
2 tablespoons all purpose-flour
1 cup milk
Salt (to taste)
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 bag Pillsbury Frozen Southern-Style or Buttermilk Biscuits

Directions:
Cook Biscuits according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook the pork sausage and crumble into small pieces. Add the flour and cook for 5 minutes. Add the milk and bring to a simmer. Add salt to taste, black pepper, and stir until blended and thickened.




Serve gravy on top of warm biscuits and enjoy!!


Cottage Mama's Note:  If gravy becomes too thick, simply add more milk.  If gravy is too thin, just continue cooking until thickened - do NOT add more flour or you will have flour-tasting gravy!


Variation:  For a cajun twist on traditional biscuits and gravy, replace the pork sausage with sliced chicken, andouille sausage (I like to use "Amy's").  This gives the dish a really nice spiciness. 



I think these Pillsbury biscuits are just wonderful.  If you have a southern style biscuit recipe that you love, then go ahead and use it.  For me, I am so busy with my little ones, I am always looking for ways to speed up the process of my homemade favorites and these biscuits definitely do the trick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment